Monday, March 21, 2011

OK, so...are there dumb questions?

We have all heard this haven't we?  When we were children, some adult or older person than we, told us that there were no stupid questions.  Or they told us something like "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."  Well, I beg to differ.  There are dumb questions.  Yes, I said it.  There are dumb questions.  Do I need to repeat it?  For example, I have a problem with reporters who interview the losing coach and ask "How do you feel right now?"  Well, how in the world do you think he feels?!?!  Like turning cartwheels?  What kind of a question is that?  A stupid one.  Or, there is news coverage at the scene of a tragic event and a first responder is being interviewed about the event and begins to get emotional (plain old cry), and the reporter says "I see this is very emotional for you."  You think?  Where do they learn this stuff?  Here's the third example I'll give.  A teacher is finished giving instructions and a student asks "So what page are we on?"  Are you kidding me?  Usually half of the class will tell the unaware child what is going on.  This is what I'm talking about.  The obvious.  We know better, I know we do.  Yet we still ask questions that have obvious answers or we are just not paying attention.  Come on ladies and gentlemen; be aware of the circumstances.  Think before you speak.  There are dumb questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment